Interactions with water as a shared resource
We are aware that water is a scarce resource in many regions and that this situation will intensify in the future, for example, in Mexico, parts of South Africa or on the Indian subcontinent. In these countries first and foremost, we will make sure that our water consumption and our wastewater do not harm this valuable resource.
We are not aware of any material impact on water quality or water availability resulting from water withdrawal or the disposal of wastewater at other production facilities around the world.
As a member of the World Business Council on Sustainable Development, Symrise supports the CEO Water Mandate in order to promote conservation and sustainable use of freshwater resources at our direct operations and along our value chains.
According to our Water Policy Symrise commits to the following:
- Ensure compliance with water relevant legislation and voluntary standards in the countries where we operate
- Use freshwater resources sustainably taking into account regeneration rates of local water bodies and sources Symrise collectively uses together with other parties
- Regularly analyze, monitor, control and sustainably manage water quality and quantity of extractions and discharges
- Increase awareness among our customers, suppliers and other stakeholders on the critical importance of water to sustainable development and corporate success
- Integrate water related performance criteria in our supplier assessments
- Inform clients about the water performance of the compounds and ingredients they purchase from Symrise
- Promote multi-stakeholder collaborative action on water stewardship
- Conduct regular water risk assessments of our operations and value chains
- Improve water efficiency at all manufacturing sites located in areas of high water stress in line with local water availability for human and ecological needs
- Provide fully functioning WASH-services to every employee and visitor to our company
- Promote sustainable innovations along our value chains that help to sustain freshwater resources and protect water quality as well as aquatic living environments.
Accordingly, we have set the following goal for ourselves for 2025:
Increase the efficiency of water consumption at all production sites in arid regions by 15 % (2018–2025)